The Law Office of Doug Goyen has handled personal injury cases since 1997. Attorney Goyen is a Dallas personal injury attorney licensed by the State Bar of Texas. The Law Office of Doug Goyen provides experienced, aggressive, and powerful representation for our clients.
We handle personal injury cases and help our clients recover the money they are owed due to their injury and damages.
*Are you concerned about getting your medical bills paid that were caused by your personal injury?
*Are you concerned about finding a doctor to treat your injury, and how you will pay for that medical treatment?
*Are you concerned about losing time from work due to your injury and the lost income from losing time at work?
*Are you wanting to get the full settlement value for your personal injury claim?
*Are you wanting to hire one of the best personal injury lawyers in the area to handle your personal injury claim?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should contact the Law Office of Doug Goyen. We get results for our clients. We obtain the funds required to pay your medical bills. We assist you in locating a medical facility that can treat your injury. We obtain compensation for your lost earnings. We receive the full amount of your personal injury claim for pain and suffering, mental anguish, and any other type of damage caused by your injury. For people in need of assistance with personal injury and car accident injury cases, our office provides free phone consultations and strategy sessions. Contact us today at (972) 599 4100 so that we can assist you in developing a strategy to maximize the recovery in your case.
Very efficient staff. I am VERY pleased with this firm.
Doug Goyen is my attorney for life time he helped me when no attorney in North Texas helped and HE won my daughters accedent case, he always helped me beyond... read more
Doug is a great attorney. He took care of my auto accident claim promptly, and answered any questions I had. I also had one of my hospital bills go into... read more
Mr Doug Goyen took care of all the dealings with insurance companies, my employer and other parties. He was effective and professional through the whole ordeal. Excellent communication and timely... read more
OUR SERVICES IN PERSONAL INJURY CASES
The Law Office of Doug Goyen will handle your personal injury case with the goal of maximizing your recovery. Our investigation process identifies aspects of your personal injury case that demonstrate how your injury has not only caused financial harm but has also changed your life.
1) Client interviews: We typically interview our clients multiple times at the beginning of the case to ensure we have a clear understanding of the facts as our client saw them regarding liability, what their injuries are, and any other types of damages resulting from the incident that caused the injury. In a car accident case, for example, in addition to medical and injury information, we would obtain evidence regarding the amount of property damage, towing bills, rental car bills, storage bills, and the vehicle’s diminished value. We keep in touch with our clients throughout their injury treatment so we can understand exactly how the injury progresses – so we know if your injury heals or if there is nothing else we can do for it and you have to live with how the injury has changed your life.
2) Medical Treatment: If you are unsure where to seek treatment for your injury, we will consult with you to discuss your options. You may be able to get care through your health insurance or a previous visit to a medical facility. If those options are not available and you are unable to afford medical treatment, we can assist you in locating a medical facility that will accept you on the basis of a letter of protection from the attorney’s office. A letter of protection ensures that the medical facility will be paid once the insurance proceeds are collected. Unfortunately, liability insurance takes much longer than health insurance to release funds for your medical treatment, so some medical facilities require a guarantee from your lawyer that we will send the payment out of any proceeds received from any insurance company. This way, you will be able to receive the necessary treatment.
3) Insurance companies: We request that the insurance companies involved contact us as your representative, and we request that you direct anyone attempting to contact you regarding your accident or injury to contact us as your attorney. We will handle any information requests they may have.
4) Witness interviews: In order to obtain the evidence needed to prove liability in your case, we interview any fact witnesses who may have knowledge of how the incident occurred. Police reports and other types of accident reports frequently include witness statements. Witness information can also be found on 911 recordings from time to time. We obtain any report that may contain witness statements or witness information in order to ensure that we have all of the information required to prove your case. We interview witnesses who can describe how their observations of how your injury has changed your life before and after the injury.
5) Viewing the scene of the injury: We obtain photographs of the accident scene where the injury occurred in order to gain an understanding of the surroundings and to better understand how the accident occurred. A picture can express a thousand words. Viewing the accident site assists us in conveying your story about how the accident occurred.
6) Documents and other tangible evidence to support your injury claim: In addition to police reports, 911 tapes, and other public records, we obtain any other records, bills, photos, video, audio, or other evidence required to support your injury claim. This includes medical bills and records, information from your employer about your lost income, benefit explanations from any health insurance, and records from physical therapists or any other type of therapist you may be seeing as a result of your injury.
7) Expert Witnesses: Not every case requires expert witnesses, but when they are required to prove your case, we hire them. When expert witnesses are required to explain your injury, we hire them. When necessary, we hire expert witnesses to establish liability.
8) Negotiations: When your case is ready for a demand, we review it with you to make sure we’re on the same page about your injury and damages. The insurance company is then served with a demand. When we receive offers from insurance companies, we review them with you. We will provide you with legal counsel in response to any settlement offers. We will not settle any case unless you give us permission to do so first.
9) Litigation and Trial: The majority of cases settle without the need for a lawsuit. However, in some cases, a settlement cannot be obtained without first filing a lawsuit. If a settlement cannot be reached, we will discuss your options for taking the case to trial and proving your case. When a lawsuit is filed, we prepare to present your case to a jury. From the filing of the lawsuit to the final verdict, we keep you updated at all times.
10) Settlement Proceeds: We will notify you as soon as any settlement proceeds or other funds related to your case are received. We will transfer your funds from our IOLTA trust account to you as soon as we receive them.
DALLAS PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY PRACTICE AREAS
The Law Office of Doug Goyen handles personal injury cases throughout the state of Texas. This includes car crash cases (automobiles, 18 wheelers, motorcycles, pedestrians struck by vehicles, etc.), premises cases (such as injuries caused by a dangerous condition on a property), dog bite cases (or other animals where the owner let their animal loose or had a dangerous animal and the owner’s negligence causes injury to someone else), workplace injuries, and other injuries caused by the negligence or harmful acts of others.
We deal with the insurance company and protect your rights while you focus on what you need to do to get better and take care of yourself and those around you.
Large commercial trucks do serious damage and cause serious injuries. We will fight for you to get you the compensation you deserve and protect your rights while you recover.
Drunk drivers cause serious injuries and death every year. We fight their insurance companies to get you compensated for the damage and injury they have caused you.
Pedestrians struck by vehicles can suffer serious injuries. We represent people injured in by negligent drivers and help our clients get compensation for their injury.
Bicyclists are at risk of serious injury when struck by vehicles. We represent bicyclists who have been struck by negligent drivers.
When bars or restaurants continue to over-serve drunk people and those people cause accidents with injuries, we help clients recover compensation for their injuries.
We protect the rights of motorcyclists who have been injured by negligent drivers. We fight to get all the compensation due from the insurance company.
We help clients recover compensation for injuries caused by unsafe conditions on property. Businesses have a duty to their customers to keep their establishments safe.
Dog owners who are irresponsible with their animals owe for any damage their negligence caused. We deal with the insurance company involved to get compensation for injuries caused by negligent dog owners.
When someone dies due to negligence the family and estate has a claim against the negligent parties that caused the death. We represent families and estates in recovering compensation for the harm done.
Personal injuries are caused by negligence, assaults, and other acts where those who caused the injury owe for the injury caused. We help people with personal injury case recover what they are owed for the damage caused.
WHEN DO YOU NEED THE SERVICES OF AN ATTORNEY IN A PERSONAL INJURY CASE?
In our experience, if you have been injured as a result of the negligence or actions of another person or business in a car wreck, a fall, a dangerous condition at a home, business, or workplace, a dog bite, or any other type of negligence, you need a lawyer in your case. The insurance companies you will have to deal with deal with injury claims on a daily basis. Their adjusters are trained and experienced in attempting to avoid payment of a portion or the entirety of your claim. They have lawyers on staff who will assist them in avoiding payment of your claim. When you file a claim with an insurance company, they already have a lawyer on their side, and their adjusters deal with claims all day, every day, and are experts at finding ways to avoid payment. If you are going up against an insurance company that already has lawyers on staff working against you and claims personnel who are trained to avoid paying claims, you will need your own lawyer.
Delay tactics are one method used by insurance adjusters to avoid payments. “How difficult can it be?” That is what most people think when they begin the process of dealing with a claims adjuster after being injured due to someone else’s negligence. The adjuster initially puts their mind at ease by assuring them that everything will be “taken care of” when they are ready to settle the case. Things start to get complicated after that. Not because it’s all that complicated, because it isn’t. But if you don’t have any leverage with the insurance company, they can quickly complicate things… and they’re not going to tell you what the formula is for what they need.
Delay is the name of the game in the insurance industry, and the more they can delay, the more they have you exactly where they want you. For example, you call in and are forced to leave voice messages (because no one ever answers the phone), “I need to have my shoulder looked at, it hasn’t been right since the collision.” “Can you recommend me to anyone?” There is no follow-up call (or the adjuster answers and says, “I’ll have to get back to you on that”). You called a few more times that week. You call again the following week. And then again the next time. You’ve been dealing with a disabled shoulder for over a month and have received no response from the insurance company.
They finally call you back after a long enough delay and use the old argument, “it’s been so long, how do we know this is related to the accident?” As steam escapes your ears at the thought of them even saying this, remember that it was the adjuster who caused the delay. But now you see what their plan all along was – delay until you couldn’t prove your injury was related.
Insurance companies look for coverage issues, payment issues, cooperation issues, liability issues, issues with whether you are able to prove your damages are related to their insured’s negligence, whether you contributed to your own injuries, whether you had preexisting conditions – the list of reasons they can find to deny all or part of a claim is long.
Since 1997, our firm has been handling personal injury cases. From 1989 to 1997, attorney Goyen worked for GEICO in their bodily injury claims department before attending law school. We have decades of experience fighting insurance companies and defending our clients’ rights. Contact us today if you are looking for a Dallas personal injury lawyer to help you get the compensation you deserve for your case.
PERSONAL INJURY CASES
A personal injury case occurs when someone is injured as a result of the negligence or intentional act of another person or the negligence or intentional act of a business. Auto accidents, slip and falls, dog bites, wrongful death, workplace injury, 18 wheeler collisions, and premises liability cases where a dangerous condition on a property causes injury, product defects, and malpractice are examples of personal injuries. Other types of personal injury cases exist, but these are the most common. The types of personal injury cases we handle are listed in the links at the bottom of this page.
If you have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, our office can assist you. We deal with the insurance company and make certain that you receive all of the benefits and payments owed to you by the insurance company for your injury, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and mental anguish, among other types of damage caused by personal injury cases. In many cases, you will need to deal with more than one insurance company to resolve your claim, such as the at-fault person’s liability insurance company, your liability insurance company, health insurance, disability insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, and Workers Compensation. We have over 23 years of experience handling personal injury cases and recovering full monetary damages. In order to protect your insurance coverages, we also make certain that you do not violate the terms of any other insurance plans you may have.
WHAT IS THE VALUE OF A PERSONAL INJURY CASE?
A personal injury case’s value is determined by three factors: liability, damages, and ability to collect. All three elements are critical. If you can’t prove liability, the damages and ability to collect are meaningless. If there are no damages, it makes little difference whether there is liability or the ability to collect – a case with no damages isn’t worth much. If you can’t collect from the defendant, liability and damages are meaningless because any judgment you obtain is just a piece of paper that can’t be collected on. To be valuable, a case must have all three factors.
When a case has liability, damages, and the ability to collect, the majority of personal injury cases settle for between $5000.00 and $30,000.00. The limits of automobile liability coverage in Texas (which cap the ability to collect at $30,000.00 in some cases) are one of the main reasons some cases do not go above $30,000.00. Many Texas auto insurance policies are capped at $30,000.00 because this is the minimum amount of coverage that Texas requires people to carry on their auto insurance policies. It So, even if a case is worth a half-million dollars, if the insurance policy for the person who caused the injury is capped at $30,000.00, the most that can be recovered is $30,000.00.
When a liability insurance policy has a cap of $30,000.00, we always get certification from the insurance company confirming that this is all the coverage they have. We also investigate whether there are any other insurance policies that may cover the claim. Often, multiple liability insurance policies will cover a claim, especially in car accidents. For example, if a driver borrows someone else’s car, there should be two insurance policies – liability insurance on the car and liability insurance on the driver – so that even if both insurance policies are capped at $30,000.00, you can recover up to $60,000.00 if the injury requires it.
Cases worth more than $30,000.00 typically involve more serious injuries and a liability insurance policy worth more than $30,000.00. They may involve a company or a business that is willing to pay whatever the case’s actual value is.
There is no cap on the value of your personal injury claim. The value of your case is determined by the severity of your injury, the facts of the case, and whether there is a defendant or an insurance company for the defendant who is willing to pay the full amount of your claim. There is no legal limit to the amount you can recover if the person or business that caused your injury has enough insurance coverage or assets.
HOW IS A PERSONAL INJURY CASE PROVEN?
Personal injury cases are typically proven by demonstrating that the person or company who caused the injury did so negligently or intentionally. The majority of personal injury cases involve negligence. Certain “elements” of a negligence case must be proven in order to collect on a claim.
HOW A PERSONAL INJURY CASE IS PROVEN
Negligence is broken down into duty, breach, causation issues, and damages.
DUTY: People have a “duty” towards others in society to exercise reasonable care. This duty is to use the amount of care that the ordinarily prudent person is supposed to use under the circumstances. So, for instance, drivers of automobiles have a “duty” not to run red lights, since doing so is dangerous to others. If there is no duty, then there is no negligence. Every individual and company has a duty to act as a reasonably prudent person would act with regards to the safety of others. Every case is different, so the duty and breach of duty vary from case to case.
BREACH OF DUTY: Two ways to show breach are: 1) a person actually knows they are putting another person at risk, and they take the chance anyway (ie., a person sees the red, decides to run it, hoping he won’t hit anyone, but knowing he could); or 2) person doesn’t see the risk, but a reasonable person in the same circumstance would have foreseen the risk of hurting someone (ie., someone answers a cell-phone while driving, is distracted, and causes a collision).
CAUSATION / Foreseeable: The act must have actually caused the injury claimed. It must also be foreseeable to a reasonable person that the injury in question could have happened. Most of the time the injury caused by the person or company that caused the injury is foreseeable. If you speed, run a red light, drive while distracted, fail to look before you pull out in traffic, it is foreseeable that you may cause a collision that will cause another person to be injured. Courts have held some types of injuries as not foreseeable. For example, a police officer who was holding back a crowd at a car accident site suffered a heart attack and died. His estate sued the driver who had caused the collision, claiming that he would not have suffered the heart attack had the driver of the vehicle not caused the collision. Texas courts found this type of injury as being too far removed and not foreseeable.
DAMAGES: In order to collect for an injury claim, there must be actual damages caused by the act. Damages include, but are not limited to, past and future medical bills, past and future lost earning capacity, past and future lost income, past and future physical impairment, past and future disfigurement, past and future mental anguish, past and future pain and suffering, property damage, loss of use of your property – such as rental car bills, storage, total loss of property, diminished value of property, loss of body member (arm, leg, . . .), loss of body capacity (hearing, eyesight, . . . ), loss of consortium (spouse, parental, child/filial), loss of services, emotional/mental trauma (bystander injury), prenatal injury, exemplary damages, prejudgment interest, attorney’s fees, and court costs.
NO FEE UNLESS YOU WIN
If we cannot recover on your case you owe us nothing. We charge a Contingency Fee in personal injury cases. Contingency Fees are structured to take a percentage of whatever we can recover on your personal injury case. We charge 1/3 of any money we can recover if we can settle the case prior to any litigation. If we need to file a lawsuit on a case to get the defendant to pay then the fee goes up to 40%. We do not file any lawsuits without first discussing the case with our client and getting permission to move forward on the case. When it comes time to settle the case we do not settle your case without your permission first. This is a performance-based contract, which means that the better we do for you, the better we do for ourselves. This aligns our interest with your interest in the case.
FREE CASE REVIEWS
We offer free phone consultations to discuss your case. Additionally, we offer a free strategy session during the phone consultation. The strategy session includes a summary of your case, the legal issues involved, and any legal issues we identify that are most important to maximize the compensation you are owed. We email a copy of this to you for you to keep! Having a copy of this strategy session is useful if you decide to test the waters and speak to other personal injury lawyers to see what they say about your case. We are confident that you will want to do business with us. We are client-oriented. We care about our clients and care about helping them recover what they are owed.
Attorney Doug Goyen graduated from law school in 1997 from Southern Methodist University, and that same year passed the Texas Bar Exam. He received his undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Business Administration at the University of Texas at Dallas graduating with the highest honors, Summa Cum Laude in 1994. Goyen is a native of the Dallas, Texas area, graduating from Bryan Adams High School in 1986. Prior to attending law school, Goyen worked for GEICO in their bodily injury claims department from 1989 to 1997. Goyen has decades of experience handling personal injury and car accident injury cases.
If you have a personal injury due to negligence because of an auto accident, workplace injury, 18 wheeler, or any other injury caused by someone else, you are owed compensation for your injury. Call for a free consultation with our Dallas personal injury attorney Doug Goyen today. We will get your compensation for the car accident injury, slip & fall injury, dog bite, workplace injury, or other injury caused by the negligence of others.
The Law Office of Doug Goyen has decades of experience handling personal injury cases in North Texas. Call (972) 599 4100 or contact us on our website contact form.
Directions: (Click the following link for directions to our Addison office: Law Office of Doug Goyen)