City Vehicle Injury Accidents in Dallas

Given how congested the roads in the Dallas area can be on any given day, they can be dangerous. In addition to the normal traffic of privately owned vehicles, there are a large number of government-owned vehicles on the roads. There are city buses, school buses, inspector cars, police cars, fire department vehicles, city ambulances, and Department of Transportation vehicles, among others. Accidents involving city vehicles and other government-owned vehicles are not uncommon.

If you have been involved in an accident with a city vehicle, you should contact and hire a personal injury lawyer in your area as soon as possible. In your case, our firm can help you get the compensation you deserve. When filing a claim with government-owned vehicles, time limits run much faster, so don’t wait. Call us at (972) 599 4100 to speak to our auto accident injury attorney regarding your collision with the government owned vehicle, we will get started on your case right away.

Call For A Free Case Review (972) 599 4100

    5 star review  Doug is a great attorney. He took care of my auto accident claim promptly, and answered any questions I had. I also had one of my hospital bills go into... read more

    thumb David Jones

    5 star review  Very efficient staff. I am VERY pleased with this firm.

    thumb Gina Walker

    5 star review  Doug Goyen is my attorney for life time he helped me when no attorney in North Texas helped and HE won my daughters accedent case, he always helped me beyond... read more

    thumb taj khan

    5 star review  Mr Doug Goyen took care of all the dealings with insurance companies, my employer and other parties. He was effective and professional through the whole ordeal. Excellent communication and timely... read more

    thumb Peter B

There is no Government Immunity in Texas for City Vehicle Accidents

In general, the government is immune from legal action. This is known as Sovereign Immunity. Unless there is an exception to this general rule, you cannot sue or collect against a government entity.

Car accidents are an exception to this rule. The Texas Tort Claims Act, Title 5, Chapter 101 of the Texas Civil Practices and Remedies Code, makes an exception to government immunity in the case of car accidents.

The Texas Tort Claims Act allows for claims if the damage was caused by motorized equipment. This equates to car accidents. It also allows for claims for personal injury or death caused by the government’s use of personal or real property – this applies again to car accident cases.

To establish a car accident injury case against a government entity, it must be demonstrated that the operator of the government vehicle was on the job (in the course and scope of their employment) and that if they had caused the damage or injury while acting as a private individual, they would be held liable.

In Texas Tort Claims Act cases involving car accidents, property damage, injury, and death are recoverable under Texas law. In car accident injury cases, there is a $250,000 per person and $500,000 per occurrence limit. The Act limits their liability for property damage to motor vehicles to $100,000 per accident.

Time Limit is Very Short

Under the Tort Claims Act section 101.101, you have 6 months from the date of the accident to file a notice of claim against a government entity in Texas. Details about when, where, and what the claims are for, such as injury and other damage, as well as how the car accident happened, must be included. In some cities, the time limit is even shorter.

Call For A Free Case Review (972) 599 4100

Can You Sue a Government Agency for Car Accident Injuries?

You must file a claim for your city vehicle injury accident as soon as possible. You must file your claim as soon as possible and correctly. You’ll need to hire a lawyer who has prior experience filing claims and lawsuits against government entities. For over 20 years, attorney Doug Goyen has handled car accident injury claims against government entities.

We can assist you if you were injured in a car accident caused by a government vehicle. You are entitled to compensation for your injuries, but you must contact us as soon as possible to avoid losing any rights you may have in your case. Call us at (972) 599 4100 for a no-obligation consultation and strategy session about your case.

By Doug Goyen, Attorney,

Scroll to Top